ICOS Carbon Portal is hosted by the Department of Physical Geography and Ecosystem Sciences and is part of ICOS ERIC, the legal entity of the Integrated Carbon Observation System that provides high quality long-term measurements of greenhouse gas exchange in the domains of atmosphere, ecosystems and ocean. Carbon Portal offers open access to all ICOS high-quality and standardised greenhouse gas data, as well as scientific and educational products produced by our scientific users. The Carbon Portal is thus a ‘one-stop shop’ for all ICOS data products. Carbon Portal also (co-)develops web services for the user community that support the scientific exploration of the data.
We are looking for a software developer to reinforce our development team. You will maintain and further develop back-end systems underlying the core Carbon Portal services. We are a group of 18 scientists and developers, but you will work in a small team with 3 other developers and an operations engineer. The position will be permanent with a 6-month probation period.
At the Carbon Portal we use the following technologies:
- Back end development: Scala, Akka
- Metadata management: RDF, OWL, SPARQL, RDF4J, PostgreSQL/PostGIS
- Deployment environments: Ubuntu Linux, Docker, LXD
- Data storage: Linux file system, iRODS, EUDAT/CDI B2SAFE
- CMS for ICOS websites: Drupal, document management system: NextCloud
- Several years of experience or a degree in computer science.
- Experience with Java, Scala (preferred), or similar languages.
- (Desirable) familiarity with (and lack of aversion towards) SPARQL, RDF, OWL, triple stores.
- At least basic knowledge of HTTP protocol, Linux, SQL.
- Willingness to start working on existing mature codebases.
- Ability and desire to learn in general and from your peers in particular.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Experience in anything of the following: Ansible, Linux administration, Bash, Python, PHP, public key cryptography and TLS certs, scientific data, binary data formats.
- Interest in any non-mainstream programming language.
- Preference for statically-typed languages.
- Indenting with tabs, aligning with spaces 😉
- Link to a public repository with your code contributions.
We will place great emphasis on personal suitability. Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence.
Working conditions and compensation
- Low-bureaucracy agile development style without hard focus on deadlines.
- Interesting and varying tasks to solve with modern techniques.
- Flexible working hours, low-stress environment.
- Generous vacation and employer’s contribution to your future pension funds.
- Health care provider and support available.
- Salary will depend on your competence level. We’ll aim at meeting your value on the job market. Salary reviews are performed yearly.
Terms of employment
Permanent position with preferred start date of 1 April 2021, a probationary period of 6 months will be applicable. The scope of the employment is full time.
Contact person is Alex Vermeulen ([email protected]), tel +46 46 222 9298.