Are you excited about leading highly creative communication campaigns for a transformative new pan-European research infrastructure? This position may be for you!
Naturalis is one of the initiators of the ‘Distributed System of Science Collections’ initiative, better known as DiSSCo. DiSSCo is a new world-class Research Infrastructure (RI) for natural science collections, with a wide range network of stakeholders who will be engaged through various online and offline media. The Communication and Outreach Officer is responsible for developing content and getting across our key messaging to the wider community through multiple distribution channels.
About the department
The ISBI (International Collaboration on Biodiversity Infrastructure) group is a Naturalis Biodiversity Center Department, set-up as a direct response to the challenges and opportunities presented in the international landscape of mass digitisation, open science, and data and research infrastructures. The ISBI team is currently leading the Coordination and Support Office of DiSSCo.
About the position
You will lead on the day-to-day external communication of DiSSCo, taking ownership of the key messages to be transmitted across all public channels, including DiSSCo social media accounts, press releases and public events. You will have the unique opportunity to develop and communicate on DiSSCo towards a variety of audiences, including a) the wider scientific community, b) science policy audiences and c) the wider public. We expect you to work closely together with the CETAF (our European museums network) community, as well as with more than 120 museums in the DiSSCo partnership, through their respective communication departments. You will be reporting to the DiSSCo Coordinator (based in Leiden, NL) and the DiSSCo deputy Coordinator for Communication and Engagement (based in Brussels, BE). Your immediate team includes junior and senior members of staff of the DiSSCo Coordination and Support Office.
Specifically your role and responsibilities will include:
- Simplify and visualize complex scientific concepts for different audiences;
- Ensure all messaging aligns with key business strategies;
- Develop and implement strategies for (social) media engagement;
- Develop and implement strategies for engaging target groups within the community;
- Develop content for social media, websites, newsletters, press releases, and any other distribution channels;
- Update DiSSCo website content and structure (WordPress);
- Create high quality visualizations to support the communications strategy;
- Draft design briefs for contractors;
- Draft presentations for use across the infrastructure;
- Develop monthly, quarterly, and annual media activity reports;
- Plan, create and oversee the design, content, and production of social media;
- Assist with the organization of online and on site events.
The position is based in Leiden, The Netherlands. Our working language is English.
General requirements and skills
Overall we are looking for a self-motivated and creative person with strong writing, editing, layout and design skills and with experience in translating complex scientific concepts into simple and engaging messages. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is highly appreciated.
Furthermore we are looking for candidates who meet the following requirements
- At least 2 years experience in a similar role and in an international environment;
- Experience in developing and executing (social) media engagement strategies;
- Experience in engaging stakeholders, such as partner organisations, media representatives and other external bodies;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal ;
- Self confidence and able to pitch ideas;
- Strong design philosophy and competences;
- Creative thinking and problem solving abilities;
- Can work independently and is able to assess when to engage the help of others;
- Excellent advisory skills and confidence giving advice and information to senior managers;
- Excellent command of the English language.
Nice to have:
- Proven experience in Science communications;
- Higher university degree or equivalent qualifications in (science)communication, journalism, marketing or public relations;
- Experience as web editor and social media manager;
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite;
- Be available to travel abroad;
- Command of languages other than English (with preference to Dutch or other EU languages).
What we offer
A challenging position and the opportunity to participate in shaping the future of European natural science collections landscape. You will experience the diversity of cultures and approaches to science, driven by the different national science-policy strategies. You will be part of a team of highly motivated professionals, working in a highly international context. Significant opportunities will be provided to further build expertise around international science communications and outreach towards a multitude of stakeholders.
A contract for a period of one year, after which a decision will be made on a continuation for another two years. A salary between € 2.840,- and € 4.053,- gross per month (Scale 9/10 – Collective Museum employees Agreement (CAO), based on a 36 hour working week, depending on relevant experience. Other benefits include a commuting allowance, holiday allowance (8%) and year-end bonus (3.4%).
The Naturalis offices in Leiden are easily accessible by public transport from Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht and The Hague.
Information and application
Are you excited about leading highly creative communication campaigns for a transformative new pan-European research infrastructure? If so, we are looking forward to receiving your application. For function-specific information, please contact Dimitris Koureas, ([email protected]). For information about the procedure, please contact our Human Resources department via ([email protected]). Please submit your application with a cover letter that addresses all the required qualifications/skills/competencies, a short CV, a portfolio of your work and two reference contacts via this application form. We would like to receive your application before 17.00 UTC 30 August 2020. For this vacancy internal and external recruitment takes place simultaneously. Interviews are scheduled in week 37.
Naturalis endorses the Cultural Diversity Code. In the case of equal suitability, preference is given to the candidate who reinforces diversity within the team. Acquisition is not appreciated.
The post We are looking for a Communications and Outreach Officer! appeared first on DiSSCo.